Monday, March 17, 2014

Ida Clare You look Irish Today!



This is my first celebration of St. Patty’s Day here in Big Thicket where I was aiming to go out into the world looking for the pot of gold which requires a rainbow.  Since it is all blue skies here, there isn’t a rainbow’s chance in Hades that one will show up, so maybe I’ll just go buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best.



In the past I might have settled for a handsome Leprechaun, but I am getting a little weary of them wearing those bright green outfits and then trying to charm me out of mine.  A woman can take just so much blarney. What the heck is Blarney anyway? I can think of Blarney Fife on the Andy Griffin Show and Blarney Rubble on the Flintstones and except for the purple dinosaur, (who couldn’t possibly be Irish) I’m at a loss.

If you don’t have time to Google it, I just did.  There is a legend that while Blarney Castle was being built, there was a lawsuit dispute and so the owner of the castle appealed to the goddess, Clíodhna and she told him to kiss the first stone he saw on the way to court the next day.  He did and this stone evidently allowed him to use his wit and eloquence to win his case.

So the next time some Charming Blarney tries to deceive you with his wit, flattery, and smooth talk, know that he has probably been kissing a few Stones (Mick would be my first guess) or is stoned.

Still, I do love me a sweet talker and the Irish are champions at it.  So I would like to share some Irish blarney or blessings that appeal to me.  Where ever you are, have a Happy St Patty’s Day.  Maybe next year, I’ll Google St. Patrick or maybe I'll have him Google me.
















Have a lucky day!
photo credit: Me2 (Me Too) via photopin cc

No comments: