Friday, February 1, 2013

Ida Clare, I'm Creative!


I declare, I’m creative.

“Oh, really? I’ve never heard anyone announce it like that before.”

I know! Doesn’t it sound wickedly boastful? Would my friends despise me if they heard me say that out loud?

“You have friends?”

Yes and the good ones, who know me, would support me in acknowledging something positive about myself.

What about what this woman said?  She knows everything.”


“It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help.” Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

Miss Manners may be right but, I’ve been trying to impress others for years by keeping my mouth shut waiting for somebody to tell me who I am and what I think and how to act. Besides, it’s not like I am taking out a billboard. What about this quote?



“You have to do a little bragging on yourself even to your relatives; -man doesn’t get anywhere without a little advertising.” James Nance Garner, (American Vice-President)


“He obviously never wished he’d kept quiet on Facebook. Your relatives are usually the first ones to crucify you.”

My relatives have to stand in line behind me for I am my own worst critic. It's that internal Roger Ebert guy that I have to drown out.

Are the bragging police going come and arrest me for admitting out loud that I’m creative? No. Will they show up at your house if you do? No. 
  Admitting that we are creative ( insert your version of creativity here _______ ) is so difficult for some people. We think erroneously that if we have a gift or a talent or an ability that we can’t let our light shine too much or we will look like we are showing off. You may be able to say, “I’m creative,” but can you say:

“I’m an artist,” or (I'm an excellent artist.)
“I’m a poet,”
"I'm a writer."
"I am a photographer, an engineer, a maker of pies."

Saying who you are builds muscles for taking creative action:

This is me. This is what I can do. May not do it better or worse than some, but here I am showing up in this world, bringing my unique gifts to the table, willing to share them. No bragging. Just fact.


“There is a difference between conceit and confidence. Conceit is bragging about yourself. Confidence means you believe you can get the job done.” Johnny Unitas, (American Football)
Is there something you need to admit out loud today? Let’s hear it. You can leave it in the comments.

I declare, I’m ____________.

Hugs,





If you would like to share this on social media there are Twitter and Facebook buttons hidden under the drop-down menu on the left side near the Search.  Click the word "More" at  the very top of this blog above the picture of yours truly.  Thanks for spreading the word.

No comments: