Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ida Clare, I love mini's!

Hello Friends,

In case you are thinking I am raving for mini skirts, you'd be wrong.  If you've got the legs for them, I say wear them, but my days of tugging on the hem of my skirt trying to hide what day of the week panties I am wearing are over.

I'm talking about mini albums.  Mini albums are an offshoot of creativity that came from the scrapbook world.  This blog post has twenty or so photos and it is long so hang in there with me.

I am not going to do a tutorial, cause that would be silly.  I still barely know what I am doing when it comes to mini's, but that never stopped me from staying up all night working on this one.  There are tons of tutorials on Youtube and Pinterest so if you are inclined, you can have all the instructions you need to complete one.

This book took much longer than I planned and even though it made me realize my decision-making skills were being sorely tested, I loved the whole process.  I always enjoy trolling the aisles of Big Thicket's Hobby Lobby but I used some things from my stash as well.

I made this mini for my dear friend Audrey who is a creative whiz when it comes to quilting and embroidery.  Check out her Etsy site; it's AWL Good.  She inspires me whenever I see her work. Audrey is a France-o-file ever since she went on a lovely trip to Paris so I included a nod to her experience. I hope she enjoys her mini as much as I did making it.

The bling in the center says, "Happiness"


 I had to trim the front end paper because it was wrinkling in the fold of the book.  I declare, the lighting in some of these photos look like I took them in the morgue or the tomb of the unknown photographer.  It could be those little light bulbs with the pigtails on them that put out that unnatural light.  Yeah that it, let's blame the light bulbs.


 In retrospect, if I had put the heart on the outside of the page the book would have been less fat.


 I like it when a book looks like it has evolved over time.  A sweet lady, Mildred who owns a quilt store called MJ's Designs, gave me those adorable scissors.


Some of the graphics, I got from Graphics Fairy.


My friend will be able to put photos of some of her award winning pieces on this photo mat.


  "So dear to my heart"


 I did the shading around the roses with watercolor pencils. It makes them stand out.


I love the look of old print.


 The Friends Section


 I like the contrast of the shiny Friend decal against the old faded look of old paper.


I kept adding paper to the photo mat to get the look I was after.


 The paper looks wrinkled but I guess it will be covered up by photos.


Audrey and I and about a million other women on the planet (you know who you are) are obsessed with the International Quilt Festival in Houston.  This year it will be in October 31-November 3, 2013 at the George R. Brown Convention Center  Hock your gold, sell your blood, do whatever it takes to make the trip.  Start saving now!  Your stash will grow exponentially and your wallet will deflate.  Your creativity will thank you.


 Audrey and I have shared a lot of memories from our youth.  And we ain't telling...'Nuff said.


This makes me think of the lyrics to "The Way We Were" by Barbara Streisand." ...Memories light the corners of my mind, misty water colored memories of the way we were..." (Thinner and able to leap buildings in a single bound.)

Finally by the end of the book, I started thinking ahead and making a plan of what the page was going to be like before I started slinging glue that I would later come to regret.

This is the "Secrets" envelope.  I am afraid that all of mine wouldn't fit on this one page.  I'm thinking Audrey's won't either. ;-)

 This little dangle has a sewing machine charm attached.  It belonged to a friend of my mother.


The Bon Voyage is an embroidery piece Audrey made and gave to me so I used it here.  I love how the Eiffel Tower looks like an "A".  I added that piece of paper in the photo over the post card for privacy reasons.


Thank you for allowing me to share this labor of love with you.  And thanks to my friend Audrey for being there when I needed a shoulder to cry on, a buddy to party with, and someone who laughs at my jokes. She also helped me get out of town in a hurry.--Now that's friendship.

Hugs,


No comments: