Monday, September 15, 2014

Ida Clare I'm Bookish

Dear Creative Friends,

As promised I want share with you photos of the altered book I made for my brother.  I have been waiting until his actual birthday came and went and he had the book in hand.  I wanted it to be a surprise.

Note to self:  If you ever start another blog, never tell family members, neighbors, friends, or anyone who might be the recipient of your blogged-about gift giving.  Especially if you change your mind about sending said gift.  I really wanted to keep this one.

Depending on your point of view, my brother and I were fortunate or unfortunate to grow up in the country where we had to entertain our selves.  Since our television got only one crummy channel and we hated going outside in the heat about as much as I do now, we chose to sweat inside the house in front of a box fan --- while reading a book.

Sadly he lives far away from me.  When we get together, after we exchange gossip, the conversation is about books.  So I thought an altered book about books and reading would be something he would appreciate.  There are a lot of photographs so I won’t bore you with all of them.  I will wait and bore you with the rest of them next week.

"Bookish" the title of an altered book about reading and books.

The original pages were removed and new signatures made and sewn together then glued into the old cover.  I kinda got carried away.  The book is about to pop out at the seams.
 
Front inside cover with one of the book plates I designed and drew and a dedication.  I need to design some for myself.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."  The tape on there is for privacy.

Most of the quotes I collected on Pintrest.  Have I mentioned my Pintrest addiction?

My printer was out of colored ink, so in the middle of the night when I was doing this it forced me to limit my printing to black only.  Kind of a happy accident because it kept the look uniform and vintage.

I love the look of black print on manilla paper, the kind of paper we used to color on in school.

"Run like you have to get to the library!"  The images are from Graphics Fairy, of course.  Figuring out how to get them printed on old book pages was tricky with my ancient printer.

There is lots of room for making book lists or writing book reports if my brother chooses.  Anybody have a bucket book list?

Some time I just got weary of fighting the printer and I would actually copy down a quote with my trusty black pen to make it feel guilty.  The printer didn't care.

Lemony Snicket is so wise beyond his years.  I wish I had a cool name like that.

"I like to party and by party I mean read books."  So true.  The octopus in the back ground must be a party animal. I sometimes wish for more hands to use while I am holding a heavy book, trying to eat a sandwich and managing to keep the cat away from both.  Let's party.

This is just another place to put tags or maybe a letter you don't want to throw away.  Who gets real letters any more other than from AARP?

Book marks to lose.  The one I never lose is toilet tissue.  I am always afraid I will return a book to the library with a toilet tissue book mark. Don't tell my I'm the only one.
This woman reminds me of my nosy neighbor.  I think she is too busy keeping her nose in people's business to keep it in a book.
 
This may be one of my favorite tags because it is so true.
"Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be."  I am going to worm my way out of here and find a good book to read.







That is all my little attention span can do for one post. I will share the rest of the book next week. Thanks for your patience in looking at at these many photos.  I would love to hear what you think in the comments below.

Have a creative week,

2 comments:

jessica said...

You and your brother are lucky siblings to share such a wonderful passion for books. And THIS book is gorgeous! I hope he knows and remembers to appreciate what a treasure he has in his big sister who was, after all, his original guide into the wondrous world of reading!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. Lucky brother to have a talented sister like you. Love your book.